After all that, I was dragging a bit today. But, I still managed to get some stuff accomplished around the house. One of those things was caulking. I have actually been meaning to do this for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it. I was cleaning the front door today (not pictured) because I want/need to repaint the trim around the door. There were a few spots there that needed some caulking, so I finally got out my caulking gun to get the job done. I forgot to take a picture, so here is a stock photo of a caulk gun. You basically cut the tip off of the silicone tube and apply pressure via the trigger. The important thing with the operation is to screw the back metal piece clockwise when you want to operate it and counter-clockwise to stop the flow. Otherwise, you can end up with a mess.
I'll share the door caulking when I post about the door painting. But, I also tackled the upstairs guest bath. The caulk around the sink wasn't looking too great and was cracked in places.
Before (click on the images for zoom):
The best way I found to apply the caulk was doing the best you can to apply a thin line and then go over the caulk with a slightly wet finger to smooth it out. You'll also want a wet paper towel on hand to clean up any messes. The caulk is water soluble when wet, but is really tough to clean up once it has been set.
Another problem area was around the tub in the guest bathroom. The previous owners must not have followed any of my advice about caulking and it was very uneven and blob-looking. I haven't been noticing any leaks, but it didn't look too good. So, I ended up going over the old job with a new line of caulk and just smoothing out the seam with my finger.
As you can see from the after pictures, it looks much crisper now. It was actually one of the things that really bothered me about this room, so I was happy it was such a fast and easy fix. I only wish I had done it sooner.
I kind of have 2 projects going on at once, so I will certainly be writing again with whichever gets done the fastest.