J and I also spent a Sunday in September going on a hike nearby. There's a nice (mostly shaded) trail near our house.
We've also entertained at our place twice in September, which limits the amount of projects I do because I was trying to keep the house looking clean and nice. It almost never looks put together while I am working on something.
This past Sunday, I was supposed to go apple picking with some of my girlfriends. Unfortunately, there was some horrible accident, and I got stuck in traffic and couldn't make it. Whatever happened must have been horrible. Anyway, after getting stuck in traffic for 1.5 hours, I decided to bail (since I would have been horrendously late). I was pretty frustrated. After already being frustrated that morning when J and I went to watch the church service on streaming and the connection got all messed up (ironically, it was a sermon on anger). So, long story short, I decided to start demoing the downstairs bar area that has been on my to-do list for a long time. I was also prompted to start this project when I found out that one of my friends in the area had a wet saw I could borrow to do the tile work. :)
Here is a before shot. The plan is to take out the carpet in the bar area and slightly around the bar area and put in tile. Then, we will get a new beverage fridge, new cabinets, countertop, sink, light fixture, etc. Basically, this entire bar area had been put together very poorly and cheaply. I'm not anticipating spending a lot of money, but enough to get this looking decent. And all the gold stuff has got to go.
You can see the lovely job the previous owners did with the drain pipe for the sink.
Random drywall holes for no reason. Thankfully, the water lines did have shutoffs. That was a huge relief. The shutoffs are the quarter turn kind, which are actually really nice to have.
With everything out on the bottom. I did most of the unscrewing and detaching, but then J came down to help with getting the countertop, sink, and base cabinet out and disassembled.
I'll donate most of this to the Habitat for Humanity reStore.
Oh yea, this was good. They actually screwed the mirror onto the wall from the other side of the drywall. Why you would ever hang a mirror this way is beyond me.
J and I ventured to Home Depot and brought home some samples of tiles we liked for the new flooring. We both really like the center one. I plan on going over to the Tile Shop at some point and seeing if there are others we might like.
I was sort of trying to match the tile by the door to the outside, but the closest match wasn't all that close. I think we determined that matching the other tile may not be all that important.