Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The tile on the wall

I know... it's been a while since I blogged! I do apologize. We have been really quite busy this summer. This past weekend was spent recuperating from all our recent travel - cleaning, laundry, errands, etc as well as some time spent with friends. It was good to feel like I got my feet back under me again. We even made it to church on Sunday which was great. On Sunday, I started a new project. I had picked up some ceramic tiles at Home Depot for 50 cents a piece and wanted to try stencil spray painting them, as seen in this blog post. Except I wanted to make them into something to hang in the guest bathroom, not coasters. I'm pretty sure I used the exact same Martha Stewart stencils from Michael's as she did.


Here was my setup for the priming step. I was also pray painting a frame and the trash can for the half bath. It was ivory, and was clashing with all the white in there, so I decided to give it a try. I haven't done anything with the frame yet.

Here's a closer look at the stencil. I used stencil adhesive to stick it to the tile during the spray painting. I did a coat of primer followed by a coat of yellow spray paint. It is the same yellow I used on the shelf in the guest bath as well.

My other items:


Here's the first one after it was done.

I had to get creative with masking off some of the stencils. Even then, I did have to use some mineral spirits and a q-tip to clean up some mistakes. But they all turned out well in the end.

I used a glue gun to attach ribbon to the back to hang them on the wall.

And voila! White tiles turned artwork.

Here are some more shots for you. There was some glare from the flash.



I'm pretty thrilled with how they turned out. And the color goes so well with the yellow and gray theme in there. It really is amazing what paint can do.

I also installed a sprinkler for the front flower bed. We have been pretty light on the rain recently and my flowers were definitely needing some extra help. And I was getting tired of hosing them down after work. Now, I can just turn on the sprinkler, go on a run, and the flower bed is watered. I suppose I could have gone all out with the soaker hose and a timer, but I decided to be cheap this time around. And it gets the job done.


I also found this cutie in Ace hardware and couldn't resist. Isn't this such an adorable watering can? Plus, I had been using a cup to water my indoor plants. This works much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment