Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Demo Day

I know what you have been thinking... what is the update with the powder room? You know... the one I destroyed. To update you, last I blogged about it, this is what had happened:


After I realized that this job was too big for me to tackle on my own, we hired a contractor to help out. Well, this week, they started working. Today was demo day. So, here are some updated pictures.






So, the wallpaper is officially outta there! I don't know about anyone else, but I like seeing what's behind the drywall. You can really see where everything is and how it all got put together (like, for instance, how our plumbing is in the wrong spot or how there is a big cavity of open space above our closet). It's like house surgery. Our plumbing fixtures were also delivered. I'm really excited to see how this all comes together!

On another, completely unrelated topic, I just finished Speaker for the Dead, the second book in the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. The book was very interesting, and also, like all good fiction, drew you in. However, it was so completely different than Ender's Game. Religion took more of a front seat in this novel, and it was fairly interesting how a Mormon author spent most of the book promoting humanism as religion, while borrowing most of the central themes from Christianity. It was quite perplexing. I put down the book wondering what he was really wanting the reader to feel. It was a good deal more thought-provoking than most science fiction books. I do want to say that I don't agree with the author. It was almost like he was holding agnosticism as supreme, but also borrowing at-will from Christianity to argue his point. I'm not trying to badger him for his humanism, just for his lack of consistency (I mean he literally quoted scripture). Overall, the book was quite engaging, and obviously got me thinking enough to be typing out my thoughts on the internet.

Anyway, that's really all I have right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment