It's been too long, but the bench is finally done! The past few weeks have been primarily been filled with work. On the weekends, early mornings, late evenings, etc. But today, I finally got a break. And the bad weather kept J home too so we had a nice, relaxing day together. I think we both wish that it had been more snow and less gross weather, though. Anyway, over the past 3 weeks or so, I have been slowly painting the bench portion of the tree hutch. First, I used Kilz primer over the bare wood. I had spent time using wood putty to patch up the seams.
J and I decided on a blue color to go with the rest of the decor on the main floor. This is after the painting.
I then used a water-based gloss coat I found in a local shop. It is a little greener than the oil-based polys, and the smell is not quite as bad.
After about 2 coats of the gloss, and it had set for a bit, I attached the top of the bench with low-profile hinges. I had to order them from Home Depot online as I couldn't find them in stores.
And here is the finished product! I think it will look even nicer with the top portion of the hutch built! I put all our shoes in the hutch, which will keep them out of sight. It will, hopefully, keep the foyer looking a little nicer. (Imagine a pile of shoes sitting there before.
I also have some ideas for artwork in the nook, so stay tuned. I should have more time at home now, so I should be able to make progress on the top portion.
For the previous posts on the making of the bench, visit: