Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Final Bench Post

It's been too long, but the bench is finally done! The past few weeks have been primarily been filled with work. On the weekends, early mornings, late evenings, etc. But today, I finally got a break. And the bad weather kept J home too so we had a nice, relaxing day together. I think we both wish that it had been more snow and less gross weather, though. Anyway, over the past 3 weeks or so, I have been slowly painting the bench portion of the tree hutch. First, I used Kilz primer over the bare wood. I had spent time using wood putty to patch up the seams.


J and I decided on a blue color to go with the rest of the decor on the main floor. This is after the painting.

I then used a water-based gloss coat I found in a local shop. It is a little greener than the oil-based polys, and the smell is not quite as bad.

After about 2 coats of the gloss, and it had set for a bit, I attached the top of the bench with low-profile hinges. I had to order them from Home Depot online as I couldn't find them in stores.

And here is the finished product! I think it will look even nicer with the top portion of the hutch built! I put all our shoes in the hutch, which will keep them out of sight. It will, hopefully, keep the foyer looking a little nicer. (Imagine a pile of shoes sitting there before.






I also have some ideas for artwork in the nook, so stay tuned. I should have more time at home now, so I should be able to make progress on the top portion.

For the previous posts on the making of the bench, visit:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment