Sunday, March 17, 2013

Tree Hutch Top

Happy St. Patty's Day! The hutch portion of my tree hutch is finally done! I didn't get quite as much time to work on it this weekend as I would have liked, but we were doing lots of fun things with friends, so I guess that's okay. I started putting this together 2-3 weeks ago, and have been slowly working on it.

First, I started by cleaning up the long pieces that we had cut with the jigsaw. There were some uneven parts that I shaved down and sanded.

Then I attached the cross-piece with pocket screws.

I then screwed the divider in from the underside.

I then attached the 1 x 2 and 1 x 3 cross pieces with pocket screws.

I did the same for the piece that goes across the bottom.

I attached the beadboard to the back of the structure using wood glue and small screws.

I then attached the top piece with nails, but forgot to take a picture. I then moved on to the miter cuts. The top of the hutch called for crown molding. It took a few tries to get it right. I also messed up a few pieces before I figured out how to position the pieces and do the measuring.

I then attached the crown molding with a few finish nails that I covered with wood putty.

And here is the finished top hutch. I will add some hooks after it's painted so that we can hang things from it. And of course, it will be attached to the bottom bench part. But, it's definitely getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment