Monday, April 16, 2012

Guest Bathroom: Finishing Touches

This past weekend, I mostly wrapped up the guest bathroom makeover. On Saturday, I went to a homeless shelter with some folks from our church. It was great serving and feeding the people there. After that, I swung by Home Depot and picked up a shelf I thought would be about the right size for the area over the toilet. I used a wooden shelf and painted it with high gloss paint. Since the bathroom is pretty well-ventilated and doesn't get used all that often, I think it is safe.

Here are the shelf pieces, pre-painting.

I used Rustoleum's Sun Yellow spray paint, to make the shelf nice and bright. I basically did about 3 thin coats of it.


I carefully measured the space above the toilet, and used a level to determine where to drill. The reason for the error holes is that the directions were wrong. They suggested a larger drill bit for the screw anchors, but I should have used a smaller one. So, I moved slightly down, where I knew the holes wouldn't be seen and drilled the holes again. Oh well.

While my shelf was drying, I installed a towel bar. The only other towel bar is in the shower area and doesn't hold two towels very well. So, I added another one for outside the shower. It was pretty easy. I made sure the guide was nice and level and drilled in the appropriate spots.

Added the anchors.

And voila! Towel bar.

Once my shelf pieces were dry (~24 hours), I installed the bottom pieces and then used some liquid nails to adhere the shelf to them.

It turned out pretty level, or at least to the point you do not notice any slant, nor will anything roll off it.

The picture above the shelf is tilted in this photo, but here is the finished product.

And here are some shots after I decorated. I picked up the towels from Crate and Barrel. I thought they would make the room very bright and fun!





So, there she is: the yellow and gray bathroom makeover. I'm really pleased with what a coat of paint and a few colorful accents did in the room. I hope you all had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment