Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Welcoming Front Door

Hello all! Today's post is more or less a continuation of last week's post. After living with the front door knob for a few days, I decided that it would be better to ORB (Oil Rubbed Bronze) the glass door in front of the main door as well. It kind of looked odd with a mixture of brass and ORB.



The first step was to remove all the door's hardware. Unlike the main door, there was no real replacement kit, so the best way to do this is to paint. (Trust me, I have seen this done on multiple DIY websites before). 


I used some liquid deglosser to rough up the pieces. I opted not to sand the pieces, but you can use some very high grit sandpaper if you would like. 

I also removed the door kick (is that the right word), which was really dirty. I cleaned it all up before using the deglosser.

Since yesterday was so warm, it was picked for the spray painting day. I thought today was also going to be nice to allow more outdoor drying time, but instead, J and I were quickly moving pieces back into the house when it started raining. :-/ Not ideal at all. I did about 3 coats on everything to get good coverage. I still noticed a few small spots that weren't perfect. It would have been better to have another day to touch up the paint, but the weather did not cooperate. I think it will be okay, but I am somewhat of a perfectionist. :)

I also spray painted the door knocker to match everything. I covered the eye hole with painters tape during the spraying, which seemed to work perfectly.

Finished results.

It's a much cleaner look with everything in the same color.

I even removed the screws for the door knocker and sprayed them. They had previously been painted over.

Before:

After:

The ORB also seems to go pretty well with everything else outside (light, railing, etc.).

I think this is the end of my door updates (at least the front door) for now. I would still like to update some of the upstairs doors, but we can wait a little to do it. While I was doing these updates, I also cleaned the front door with vinegar. It seemed to help, but it also reinforced that the front door needs a fresh set of paint in the spring. And I will keep everyone updated on how the paint job holds up. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment